About Missolonghi - presentation, information, photos and recommendations
It becomes known in history in the 16th century just before the sea battle of Nafpaktos on 7 October 1571. During the pre-Christian period in this area of Messolonghi there were 3 ancient towns. They were Kalidona, which is now Evinohori, Plevrona, now called Castle of Kira -Rinis and Alikirna which is now Hilia Spitia built just below the historical monastery of St-Simeon .
The inhabitants were fishermen and Dalmatian pirates living in straw huts positioned in the lakes of the gulf of Patra. Later on the area was called Mezzo Langhi by the Italians which means '' between the lakes '' .
Messolonghi is the capital of the prefecture of Aetoloakarnania and has approximately 13,000 inhabitants. It is built between the lagoon of Messolonghi and the one of Kleisova at the estuary of Evinos and Acheloos river.
According to the dominating opinion the name of the town is a combination of Italian words mezzo and langhi (Mezzolanghi) or messo langhi (Messolanghi) meaning "town between two lakes”. The first written reference of Messolonghi dates back to the 16th century. From 1804 to 1820, this historical town was under the command of Ali Pasha of Ioannina. The most remarkable event was the heroic Sortie (April 10th 1826) of its inhabitants after a siege by the Turks lasting several months. The Sortie of Messolonghi has marked the Modern Greek history. It remained under Turkish control until 1829. Afterwards, began its reconstruction process. In 1937 Messolonghi was named “Sacred Town”.
It is a town of glorious cultural and historical past, as it was the birthplace of authors Kostis Palamas, Miltiadis Malakasis and Antonis Travlantonis as well as important politicians such as Prime Ministers Spyridon and Charilaos Trikoupis, Dimitrios and Zinovios Valvis and Epameinondas Deligiorgis. Nowadays, Messolonghi is a major fish-production center. There are interesting examples of traditional architecture in Messolonghi.
Missolonghi | Messolonghi is the capital of the county of Aetoloakarnanias and it is the sacred town of the immortal heroes, a town of freedom and it is very picturesque. It is located 250 km NW of Athens and 510 km SW of Thessaloniki (via Amfissa-Nafpaktos)
If you think that the photos or text published in this page infringes copyright laws please notify us using the Contact Page specifying the page url and the content that infringes copyright. Direct Booking uses third party materials and cannot control or verify the origin of the content. Direct Booking will remove any infringing copyright materials from its website and will inform the infringed party about doing so.